Friday, January 10, 2014

Not Quite Mid-January Displays

It's been quite a while since I did a regular drug/beauty store display post. As usual leading up to Christmas, most of the beauty department shelves were overtaken by fragrance and bath product sets and if any new polish did appear, it was often packaged in gift sets, including some from brands I'm pretty sure were made up just to have something to put in the set. This past holiday season, I just didn't have the energy or interest needed to document all that holiday commotion. But now that the frenzy is past and most of the gift stuff has been clearanced, the beauty sections are once again graced with normal displays.

The Sally Hansen Triple Shine line is showing up at more and more places in various display formats. I saw a tall skinny floor display at CVS and a corner display at Walgreens, both of which grouped the colors into three categories: pop, iridescent, and glitter. Which shades were in which category varied between the displays, so I didn't bother making lists of which were where once I determing that there weren't any colors other than the ones I swatched last fall. I haven't noticed if these have made it to the core displays for Sally Hansen at any of my stores.





In other Sally Hansen news, the I Heart Nail Art products that I first saw at Meijer (they're in my mid-November display post) have popped up other places, too, but in different displays. Walgreens has this one, with the newer Insta Dri colors in front (I swatched those in November) and treatments, nail art pens, and nail art kits in back.



CVS had a big end cap display with the shiny and matte topcoats, nail art kits, neons, nail art stripers, the newer Xtreme Wear colors, and the newer Insta Dri colors.



The neons section had some colors that weren't in the smaller display at Meijer, and some empty slots. Shades here: Sunny Side Up, Blinding Blue, Hot Wasabi, (some pink I didn't get the name of) (edited 31-Jan to say it's Pretty in Hot Pink), Intense Iris, and Vibrant Violet.



The stripers section also had some colors I hadn't seen before. Left to right: Blue, Orange, Red, Hot Pink, Purple, Black, Silver, Yellow, White, Lime Green.



In really new Sally Hansen news, they have yet more new stuff out. The Texture Two Ways display, which I saw at Walgreens, has the new Satin Glam line of matte shimmers and the new Sugar Shimmer colors, which are textured shimmers. Satin Glam colors, front row: Crystalline, Go Gold, Sun Sheen, Taffeta. Back row: Teal Tulle, Chic Pink, Metal Iced, Silk Onyx. Sugar Shimmer shades, front row: Sugar Plum, Sugar Cloud, Cinny Sweet. Back row: Work of Tart, Mint Tint, Berried Under.



Walgreens and Meijer had a Maybelline Color Show display that I think is new core shades; the front label has a new look, too. Front row: Go Nude, Neutral Statement, Better in Buff, Dust of Bronze, Taupe on Trend, Punk Rock Pink, Rose Rapture, Pretty in Peach, An Old Flame, Rich in Ruby. Back row: Lust for Lilac, Deep in Violet, Mauve in Manhattan, Wine and Forever, Emerald City, Walk in the Park, Diamond in the Rough, Frozen Over, Blue Bombshell, Home Sweet Chrome.



Meijer is the only place so far that I've seen the other new Color Show display, Street Chic, which has "textured top coats". There were only four shades left in the display when I got there: Nighttime Noise, Green Graffiti, Pink Splatter, and Wild at Heart. Google tells me the missing shade is Blue Beats, a turquoise mix. These aren't labelled limited edition, either.



Meijer had a display of Cosmetic Arts polishes, which they never carried before (I only ever saw it at Ross and Fred Meyer when I was travelling), but these bottles weren't the slim rectangle shape like all the Cosmetic Arts ones I've seen to this point. I guess the brand is being relaunched? There were a few shades missing already from the display, but fortunately the names and colors were shown on the display itself so I didn't have to wonder what was gone. The names all have a school days theme: TGIF, Hall Pass, Senior Year, Ditch Day, Field Trip, Varsity Team, Teacher's Pet, Mean Girls, Straight A's, Shh It's a Library, Cheat Sheet, Curfew, Pop Quiz, Plaid Skirt, BFF, Spelling Bee, Homecoming, 7 Minutes in Heaven, Overachiever, Picture Day.



Plaid Skirt caught my eye most, being a purpley glitter, but it looked very familiar. There happened to be a Sally Hansen Insta Dri display nearby and that showed me why Plaid Skirt looked familiar—it appears to be the same color mix as Grape Shifter. Below, that's Cosmetic Arts on top, Sally Hansen below:



Bopping back over to Walgreens, they had an endcap display with a new line from L'Oreal, Extraordinaire, which is a three-step gel lacquer system (no lamp involved; seems similar to Revlon Colorstay, with its dedicated base and top coats). There are fourteen colors in addtion to the base and top coat, starting at top right: Diamond in the Buff, Rose to the Occasion, Lacqueriste, Lacque-red, Hot Couture, In With the Nude, Decadent Indulgence, Vintage Vinyl, Fashion's Finest, Elegance is Innate, Miss Luster-ess, Meant to Be, All Shine on Me, Glossed & Found.



The other new display from L'Oreal is Signature Nudes; I've seen this one at both Walgreens and Rite Aid. There's a celebrity tie-in with each shade, though I'm not familiar with all six of the ladies in question: Julieanne's Nude, Eva's Nude, Doutzen's Nude, Jennifer's Nude, Liya's Nude, and Frieda's Nude.



Rite Aid also had something I was very happy to see, display from NYC New York Color. It's not the Disco Inferno one I was looking for last fall; this one is called Show Stopper, but it's got the polish I most wanted from that other display in it. Left to right: Top of Gold, Disco Inferno (which was in my hand the second after I took the photo), NY Blues, Mint'ed on Broadway, Nolita's Lavender, Hampton's Peach, and Lafayette Pink.



CVS had the Wet 'n' Wild On the Rocks display with the new Megarocks line (these are not limited edition). Only eight of the nine colors were there when I found the display: Jam Session, Creative Control, Slap the Bass, Waiting for My Solo, Gettin' Amped, Always in the Pit, I'm With the Band, At Will Call. (The missing one is Stick It to The Man.)



One of my Ulta stores finally got another Essence limited edition display: Beauty Beats, which apparently has something to do with Justin Bieber. The four polishes here are Baby Baby Ooh, I'm Backstage, AS Long as You Love Me, and Groupie at Heart. There's also Paperprint Manicure Transfer Solution and special Bieber-themed newsprint designs.



Sally Beauty stores in the U.S. now carry OPI, and that's the first place I saw the Gwen Stefani collection. Six colors here: In True Stefani Fashion (glitter), 4 in the Morning (black satin finish), Love.Angel.Music.Baby. (gold satin finish), Hey Baby (bright pink "crème gloss", though how that's different from a plain old creme, I do not know), I Sing in Color (oxblood crème gloss), Push and Shove (silver chrome, comes with mini base coat).



Sally Beauty also had the China Glaze Crinkled Chrome collection, which has six shades of chrome polishes with glitter mixed in to add texture: Wrinkling the Sheets (green), Iron Out the Details (blue), Crush Crush Baby (purple), Aluminate (silver), Don't Be Toiled (blue green), and I'm a Chromatic (pink).



The last new display I saw at Sally Beauty was Orly Galaxy FX, six glitters described as providing a "multi-dimensional celestial effect". Shades are Gravity Bound, Milky Way, Star Trooper, Intergalatic Space, Starburst, and Black Hole.





I'll have swatches of some of these colors coming up in the next month or so (well, I plan to; we'll see if follow through, as you know how easily distracted I am by new things). Let me know in the comments if you've tried any of these collections yet and what you thought of them.

20 comments:

  1. Missed your Display posts!! Thanks for all the great pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those new Maybelline graffiti polishes the other day and was going to circle back and get a few but totally forgot when I checked out. I have been looking for the Gwen Stefani polishes. Hopefully I find them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad my Ulta got that Beauty Beats display. Bieber be damned, it's essence! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a few of these but of course not all have made their way to Canada yet (or may not ever as sometimes happens)...I haven't seen one decent mani of those ChG chrome textures yet and will be passing on them once I do see them unless I see a good swtch sometime...and picked up the Gwen OPI's today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by those Orly Galaxy FX polishes... I'll have to check them out when I hit up the beauty supply store here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spring colors are arriving - and I feel like pastels again soon - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see lots of interesting glitters there. And the glittery Sally Hansen went right onto the wishlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orly Galaxy FX collection seems to be absolutely gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I said I hadn't seen Satin Glam, and then the next day it turned up at HEB in that same display you showed. Also, I'm curious, is a "Paperprint Manicure Transfer Solution" actually something new or is it just alcohol-in-a-bottle? Anybody know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I don't know, but I assumed it was just alcohol. Maybe that's cynical of me...

      Delete
  10. Great display pictures! I'm tempted to get a few from the Gwen Stefani collection...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these posts --- Thanks for taking the time to do this and being so thorough about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love shopping through your posts. I actually saw that NYC display today and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so many thing so see... don't know where to look first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, I can't thank you enough for these posts! They help me a lot cause I don't live in the States and when a friend goes, I can tell them exactly where to go to get my nail polishes! :D
    So, I wanted to ask you if there are any of the Essie's Encrusted Treasures at Target or Walmart? Cause I have a friend who's going next week but he won't go to Ulta. Or if you could suggest any other store where he could find them? He's going to Chicago and NY. Thank you so much in advance! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nailista, I'm not sure about Target or Walmart but I have seen Encrusted Treasures at drugstores, so your friend might be able to find them at Walgreens (or CVS or Rite Aid).

      Delete
    2. Have him look for Essie in CVS.

      Delete
  15. WNW MegaRocks... buy them all, you won't regret it. LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought all the NYC polishes, except the purple, didn't need it.

      Layers the gold flaky polish over a light colorcolor today, not thrilled. Next time put it over a darker color. Today it looked too yellow on me.

      Disco Inferno is so pretty I bought 3all of them.

      Delete
  16. The Cosmetic Arts came out first as Funky Fingers Mermaid Lagoon, in Five Below stores. Now they've issued it in Color Club in the spring/summer collections, but I don't remember the name offhand. They've been repackaging everything lately. So far, Cosmetic Arts/Studio M/Massini/Fresh Paint (Five Below brand)/Funky Fingers and possibly Mattese Elite all equal Color Club.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.